This article contains the following topics (click on them to jump to the corresponding place):
- Connecting Quentn and Shopify
- The Shopify event item
- Field assignments
Shopify is a proprietary e-commerce software distributed by the Canadian company of the same name. With it, small and medium-sized traders can create online shops themselves and outsource the logistics.
To use Shopify in conjunction with Quentn, you need a Basic tariff.
Connecting Quentn and Shopify
There are two ways to connect the two systems: From Quentn or via Shopify.
Option 1: Connect from Quentn (recommended)
You already have the option to connect Shopify and Quentn from within a campaign. Of course, you can also go straight to the Quentn settings.
From a campaign
- Edit an existing campaign or create a new one.
- Create an event element of the type "Shopify" and open it with a double click.
- You will receive a message that no account has been connected yet. Click on the link.
- You will now be directed to the Quentn menu API Info. Please read the further steps in the next point.
Quentn settings: API Info
- In the menu on the left, click on Settings and API Info.
- Go to the Shopify Accounts tab.
- Click on the green Add Account button.
- Name your account as you wish.
Enter the name of your shop in the "Shop" field.
Attention: The name must be written exactly as it appears in the shop URL. To avoid mistakes, go to your shop in Shopify and copy the name from the URL.
Example: The URL of the Quentn shop is
The name of the shop is therefore quentn-dev-shop
Option 2: Connect from within Shopify
- In Shopify, click on Apps in the menu on the left or visit our App page.
- Click on the green Explore Apps button
- Type Quentn in the search bar and select it.
- Click Add App and then install Quentn.
The Shopify event item
The element offers you a variety of events that can be reacted to, which we would like to explain to you here.
Open the element with a double click and select the Shopify account you want to work with (this only works if you have created several shops).
Selecting this event will react as soon as a new contact is created in Shopify. The contact is then automatically created in Quentn and sent to the campaign.
If you also tick "Update contact", the system also reacts when an existing contact is edited in Shopify (e.g. change of address, etc.).
Event: New order
When this event is selected, a reaction takes place as soon as an order/purchase has been made. Buyers are then created in Quentn and sent to the campaign.
If you leave the checkmark "Generate tag from collection name" selected, the buyer is given a suitable tag which is automatically generated from the collection name. For a better overview, you can also give the tag a prefix (a prefix), e.g. Shopify_.
Now you can define the rules for e-mail confirmation under "E-mail status". There are three options available to you:
- The email address is set to "confirmed" if the contact has agreed to receive newsletters at checkout. Please note: For this method to work, you must also have activated the option in Shopify. To do this, click on "Settings" -> "Checkout" in Shopify and go to "Email marketing".
- Here, place a tick next to "Show registration option at checkout".
The email address is not confirmed, so the contact still has to complete the double opt-in.
- The contacts are always confirmed.
Then either click on "All products" if you want to react to the purchase of any product, or select specific products.
Of course, you can also select entire collections.
Event: Shopping cart abandonment
If you have activated the "customer accounts" function in Shopify and a registered customer fills his shopping cart and clicks on "checkout" but does not buy yet, you have the option of writing to this contact after a certain time, for example, and reminding him of his goods.
Select how long you want to wait after a shopping cart abandonment before you start the next action.
You can choose whether you want to wait 1 hour, 6, 10 or 24 hours.
Again, you can create a tag from the collection name and give it a prefix.
You also have the option of setting the rules for e-mail confirmation.
In addition, you can also determine here whether you want to react to all or selected products that are in the shopping basket.
Attention: If you have selected a waiting time and this is then active, you will NOT see this contact in the status mode of the campaign at first - only when the set time has expired.
Example: A contact enters the element. A waiting time of 6 hours is specified in it. The contact therefore remains "invisible" for 6 hours. Only after the time has elapsed will it be counted in the status mode.
If the contact does buy in the meantime, nothing happens, but the contact is immediately created at Quentn.
Under this point you can still assign some fields. The prerequisite is that you have also created these fields beforehand! You can find out how to do this here. In all cases you need a contact field of the type text.
Field assignment: URL for cancelled shopping cart
In order to be able to use a placeholder in an e-mail, for example, to send the potential buyer a direct link to his shopping basket, you need this assignment.
Field Assignment: Customer ID
Transfer the customer number (customer ID) with the assignment of this field.
Field allocation: Total turnover
If you assign these fields, you will be shown the contact's cumulative total turnover - i.e. how much money they have spent in your shop in total.
If you want to disconnect the connection between Shopify and Quentn again, please proceed as follows:
- In Shopify, go to Apps. Your installed apps will be listed here.
- Click on Delete to delete the connection.
Attention: It takes 48 hours until Quentn learns of the disconnection. However, as soon as the connection is terminated by Shopify, no more data exchange takes place.
If the disconnection happened accidentally, you can easily reconnect.
- In Quentn, go to Settings and API Info.
- Click on the Shopify tab.
- You will still see the connection here. Click on Actions and Reconnect.
- You will be redirected to Shopify where you will need to reconfirm the installation of the app.